President Higgins on Social Justice
Published: Mon 1st Feb, 2021 | 14:40
These struggles, throughout our history, have only been given their fullest expression, and their most authentic expressions, through the demand for a republic of equal citizens, a citizenship which is inclusive, open, generous and relentlessly committed to - through deliberation, disputation and participation in democratic politics – discerning and achieving the common good. ...
The challenges of the future can only be met by a narrative of hope, a recognition that we can and will, change our own destinies and our own societies.
Throughout his career, President Higgins has worked to promote policies and initiatives that recognise the fundamental truth that all citizens matter, and that evereyone has a contribution to make to the achievement of 'a real republic'.
As President, he initiated a Special Initiative, called 'Participation and Transformation', aimed at highlighting the importance of ensuring all citizens can participate in the social and political processes that affect their lives - which involves empowering citizens to make use of the opportunities open to them and, equally important, removing the many barriers to meaningful participation that exist.
- Statement on World Braille Day (2021)
- President Higgins highlights inclusion of people with disabilities (2020)
- President gives keynote address at NESC conference on Just Transition (2020)
- President addresses OECD ‘Confronting Planetary Emergencies’ event (2020)
- President Marks UN Day for the Eradication of Poverty (2020)
- President addresses Women’s Aid seminar (marking International Day for Elimination of Violence Against Women) (2020)
- President hosts reception to mark International Women’s Day (2020)
- President hosts seminar ‘Rethinking the Role of the State in Fostering a Sustainable and Inclusive Economy’ (2019)
- President speaks at the Congress of the European Federation of Public Service Unions (2019)
- President and Sabina host a Garden Party promoting Gender Equality and Respect for all (2019)
- President and Sabina host a St. Patrick’s Day Reception recognising those who work to support homeless people (2019)
- President delivers keynote address at ILO World of Work Summit, Geneva (2018)
- President delivers address at the Social Justice Ireland Annual Public Policy Conference (2017)
- President gives the opening address at the 2016 Irish Summit on the Sustainable Development Goals (2016)
- President attends an event to mark the 10th anniversary of the Irish Consortium on Gender Based Violence (2015)
- “The Future of Work” - Edward Phelan Lecture (2015)
- Speech at the Social Justice Week, NUI Maynooth (2014)
- ‘Toward an ethical economy’ - Speech in the 'Ethics for All' Public Lecture Series (2013)