President Higgins delivered the keynote address at the annual conference of the European network of advisory councils on environment and sustainable development (EEAC Network), hosted by the Irish National Economic and Social Council, NESC.
Entitled ‘Delivering a Just Transition for All: Principles, Policies and Practice’, the conference focused on how principles of justice, fairness, equality and equity can shape policies and practices to deliver a just transition to sustainable production, away from a reliance on fossil fuels.
Throughout his terms in office, President Higgins has underlined the grave implications of the impending climate crisis, warning that the climate crisis is “moving so much faster than the efforts we are expending or enlisting to address it” (quote from his speech at the UN General Assembly).
- President addresses OECD ‘Confronting Planetary Emergencies’ event (2020)
- European Heads of State appeal for urgent action on climate change (2018)
- President hosts seminar ‘Rethinking the Role of the State in Fostering a Sustainable and Inclusive Economy’ (2019)
- President addresses Cork Conference on Intergenerational Climate Justice (2019)
- President Higgins addresses the UN General Assembly (2019)
- Speech - ‘We must welcome a seminal document on the economy, society and a just transition' (2020)
- Statement on Climate Change to the Climate Vulnerable Forum (2018)
- “Taking Responsibility for Climate Change” (2015)
- ‘The Power of Ideas for Climate – Making a New Beginning’ (2015)
- Remarks at Hunger-Nutrition-Climate Justice Conference (2015)