On Wednesday 25 September, President Higgins addressed the United Nations General Assembly.
As leader of the Irish delegation to the United Nations, President Higgins delivered Ireland’s National Statement to the UN. In his address, President Higgins built on the themes from his speech at New York University earlier in the week, making the case for multilateralism, in particular with regard to addressing the global challenge of climate change.
You can listen to, or read, the President's speech by clicking on the Audio or Speech tabs above.
The President has also addressed the United Nations on other occasions, including:
- President delivers Keynote Address at ILO World of Work summit (2018)
- President addresses UN General Assembly (2018)
- President attends World Humanitarian Summit (2016)
- President delivers keynote address at UNCTAD Debt Management Conference (2015)
- President delivers keynote message at UN session on Hunger (2015)