President and Sabina hosted a reception at Áras an Uachtaráin for frontline staff and volunteers of organisations working to support people experiencing homelessness.
Each year, the President and Sabina Higgins mark St. Patrick's Day by hosting a reception for groups and people that have made a particular contribution to Irish society.
Last year, the President used the St. Patrick's Day reception to pay tribute to people who have donated organs, as well as to recipients and medical personnel involved in transplant operations. In 2017, the St. Patrick's Day reception focused on the achievements of women working in the fields of science and technology, and the year before that, the President honoured the Irish Naval Service for their lifesaving work in the Mediterranean.
The President has spoken about homelessness on many previous occasions, including many of his Christmas Messages and at these events:
- Speech at the ‘First Thoughts’ strand of Galway International Arts Festival, 2018
- Address at the Social Justice Ireland Annual Public Policy Conference, 2017
- Speech at a visit to Brú na bhFiann residence for homeless former members of the Defence Forces, 2016
- Address at Clann Credo’s 20th anniversary conference ‘Common Cents’, 2016
- Address at an event to mark UN International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, 2016
- Speech at the National Seminar – The President of Ireland’s Ethics Initiative, 2015
- Speech at Merchants Quay Ireland, 2015
- Speech at the opening of a the Homeless Accommodation faciliticy at Kilmantin Hill, 2014
- Remarks on visiting the renovation of homes at Inchicore by Habitat for Humanity Ireland, 2012