Participation and Transformation
President Higgins has made the promotion of a more inclusive society a cornerstone of his work, informed by his firm belief that everyone in Ireland has a valuable contribution to make and that society is strengthened when it supports, and is shaped by, a diversity of experiences and perspectives.
This initiative champions the importance of participation and highlights the significant obstacles to participation faced by so many people. These obstacles include isolation, exclusion and discrimination.
Achieving equality is not simply about opportunities for the individual, it is also about how we change our spaces and our systems to ensure they actively drive and encourage inclusion.
This initiative therefore includes two complementary strands: One focusing on people and their participation; the second focusing on institutions and their transformation.
- President and Sabina visit Welcome English Language Centre
- President opens new FLAC premises
- President and Sabina visit An Tobar social farm
- President and Sabina host "Women In The Sciences" reception
- St. Patrick's Day reception for those who support homeless people
- President and Sabina visit Ireland Skills Live
- President hosts reception for SPIRASI
- President receives staff and residents of Clúid Housing
- President addresses St. Vincent de Paul 175th anniversary event
- President and Sabina visit Shankill Women's Centre
- President and Sabina host May Day event
- President hosts representatives of the Christine Buckley Centre
- President and Sabina Higgins visit the Aoibhneas women’s refuge centre
- President and Sabina host a Garden Party promoting Gender Equality and Respect for all
- President and Sabina host a Garden Party to acknowledge the work of those supporting Asylum Seekers and Refugees
- President receives representatives from the Irish Prison Service and Gaisce, the President’s Award
- Presidents attends the 50th Anniversary Conference of Prisoners Aid through Community Effort
- President visits the Cornmarket Project
- President visits Tabor House to mark its 40th Anniversary
- President marks International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women
- President hosts Irish team who participated in World Skills competition