President highlights benefits of Science and Technology
Published: Mon 2nd Nov, 2020 | 14:11
Since his inauguration in 2011, President Higgins has spoken repeatedly about the importance of using scientific insights to address the great challenges facing humanity and our fragile planet, and to ensure the benefits of this research are shared equitably among, and within, nations.
Science is an important and influential discipline – one which has a pivotal role to play in the great concerns of humanity in our time, and one which has the potential to make the greatest contribution to improving our world.
The President has said that "it is so important to appreciate the importance of science in our lives, and of scientific insights in addressing the great challenges facing humanity. The many problems we face – such as global poverty, climate change, conflict, disease and hunger – can be, and are being, addressed meaningfully and effectively through the sharing of the benefits of research and scientific insights. The Sustainable Development Goals are proof of this, relying as we do on the best of scientific work."
Throughout his term in office, President Higgins has drawn attention to the gender gap in the science and technology sector, saying society must do more to harness the creativity and innovation of all women and girls, by investing in inclusive STEM education and research, and structuring career paths in science and technology that do not exclude women and girls at any stage of their career.
The President has also consistently argued that the benefits of research and scientific discoveries must be shared equitably and made available to poorer nations - a point the President reiterated throughout the Covid-19 pandemic, where access to vaccines to date has been very unevenly spread among countries.
- President marks International Day of Women and Girls in Science (2021)
- President officially opens the BT Young Scientist & Technology Exhibition 2021 (2021)
- Statement Marking 10 November, World Science Day For Peace and Development (2020)
- President delivers keynote address at Engineers Ireland conference on climate action (2020)
- President meets SFI President of Ireland Future Research Leaders Awardees (2020)
- Statement for UN International Day of Women and Girls in Science (2020)
- President officially opens an Irish-Polish Exhibition on the Great Famine (2019)
- President speaks at the second Irish Young Philosopher Awards Festival (2019)
- President and Sabina host a “Women In The Sciences” reception (2019)
- President officially opens the BT Young Scientist & Technology Exhibition (2019)
- President officially opens the European Union Contest for Young Scientists (2018)
- President receives recipients of the President of Ireland Young Researchers Award (2018)
- President officially opens the BT Young Scientist & Technology Exhibition (2018)
- President hosts a reception for individuals and organisations in S.T.E.M. (2017)
- President officially opens the BT Young Scientist and Technology Exhibition (2017)
- Speech at a Reception for Women in Science (2016)
- President officially opens the Young Scientist and Technology Exhibition (2016)
- Speech at the 50th BT Young Scientist of the Year Exhibition (2014)
- President Higgins congratulates winners of BT Young Scientist and Technology Exhibition (2013)
- President announces winners of the President of Ireland Young Researcher Award (2013)