President Higgins addressed a special session of the United Nations General Assembly, marking the UN’s 75th anniversary.
The United Nations was established in 1945 and has been marking its 75th anniversary with what the UN Secretary-General António Guterres has called a “people’s debate”.
Since taking office, President Higgins has addressed UN meetings on a number of occasions, including the General Assembly in 2019 and a range of thematic summit meetings.
This year, the UN General Assembly, normally the busiest time of year at the UN, has had to be re-imagined as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, and many of the events took place remotely.
- President addresses ILO Global Summit on COVID-19 and the World of Work (2020)
- President hosts a reception for a group of United Nations Permanent Representatives visiting Ireland (2020)
- President addresses United Nations General Assembly (2019)
- President receives New York based Permanent Representatives to the UN (2019)
- President addresses the UN General Assembly (2018)
- President delivers keynote address at ILO World of Work Summit (2018)
- President attends the World Humanitarian Summit (2016)
- President attends and delivers a keynote address the 10th UNCTAD Debt Management Conference (2015)
- President participates in a Global Leaders’ Meeting on ‘Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (2015)
- President delivers a keynote message at a session on, ‘Mobilising Generation Zero Hunger’ (2015)