President Higgins delivered Ireland’s National Statement to the United Nations Food Systems Summit.
The Summit was a completely virtual event during the UN General Assembly High-level Week, but is seen as a historic opportunity to empower people to leverage the power of food systems to drive our recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic and get the world back on track to achieve all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by 2030.
In his meetings in Rome last week, President Higgins has stressed that the world is not on track to achieve the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and that modern food systems (defined as encompassing all the elements and activities related to the production and consumption of food, and its effects, including all of the economic, health and environmental outcomes) lie at the heart of many of today’s greatest challenges.
These issues were on the agenda when President Higgins met Pope Francis and the Director General of the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organisation, Mr. Qu Dongyu, in Rome last week, and have also been part of the President’s meetings at the United Nations headquarters in previous years.
Separate to this, President Higgins will this week also address a High-Level Side Event on the Multidimensional Vulnerability Index for Small Island Developing States, and a side event on “Delivering the UN Common Agenda: Action to Achieve Equality and Inclusion”.
- President addresses event on ‘Delivering the UN Common Agenda’ (2021)
- President addresses UN Security Council meeting (2021)
- President Higgins addresses UN 75th anniversary event (2020)
- President addresses ILO Global Summit on COVID-19 and the World of Work (2020)
- President addresses United Nations General Assembly (2019)
- President addresses the UN General Assembly (2018)
- President delivers keynote address at ILO World of Work Summit (2018)
- President attends the World Humanitarian Summit (2016)
- President attends and delivers a keynote address the 10th UNCTAD Debt Management Conference (2015)
- President participates in a Global Leaders’ Meeting on ‘Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (2015)
- President delivers a keynote message at a session on, ‘Mobilising Generation Zero Hunger’ (2015)