President Higgins will meet Pope Francis in a private audience in the Vatican.
The two leaders last met in 2018, when President Higgins welcome the pontiff to Ireland.
When the President met Pope Francis in May 2017, he presented the Pope with a Climate Bell. The bell, made by the Irish artist Vivienne Roche, sounds a symbolic warning about the threats of climate change. Both the pope and Higgins have repeatedly expressed their urgent concern about this issue.
- President attends the 16th meeting of the Arraiolos Group of EU Presidents (2021)
- President meets with Cardinal Pietro Parolin, Vatican Secretary of State (2021)
- President hosts a screening of “The Great Green Wall” documentary film (2020)
- President and Sabina Higgins receive His Holiness Pope Francis (2018)
- President receives the contributors to the publication entitled “Laudato Sí: Ireland’s Response” (2018)
- President has a private audience with Pope Francis (2017)
- President attends the Inaugural Mass of the Pontificate of Pope Francis (2013)
- President receives the Papal Legate to the 50th International Eucharistic Congress (2012)