In June 2012, President Michael D. Higgins performed the official re-opening of the restored National Maritime Museum of Ireland in Dun Laoghaire.
In his speech, the President spoke of his admiration for the beautiful Old Mariners Church, and of those many people over the years that helped to establish the Maritime Institute of Ireland and its museum.
The church, which was at one time the main Church of Ireland church in Dún Laoghaire, was built in 1837, and closed in 1971. The building was renovated and re-opened as the National Maritime Museum of Ireland.
- President hosts a reception for a group of United Nations Permanent Representatives visiting Ireland (February 2020)
- President co-hosts, with the Prime Minister of Fiji, a reception for leaders from Small Island Developing State (September 2019)
- President addresses High Level Review of SAMOA Pathway (September 2019)
- President addresses United Nations General Assembly (September 2019)
- President and Sabina receive Ambassadors from Small Island Developing States (June 2019)
- President visits the Commissioners of Irish Lights on the 50th anniversary of the Kish Lighthouse (November 2015)
- President unveils a memorial dedicated to all those who have lost their lives at sea (September 2013)
- President tours the Race Village and Global Village at the Volvo Ocean Race (July 2012)