President Higgins highlights homelessness
Published: Fri 17th Mar, 2017 | 12:38
Housing and Homelessness have been recurrent themes in the work of President Higgins, both in relation to housing in Ireland and the experiences of people driven from their homes and homelands.
The President has spoken about the Irish migrants' experiences on many occasions, and has also been a vocal advocate for generosity towards migrants and refugees.
President Higgins has met with a number of housing associations and social housing providers, including Clúid Housing (2019), the Sophia Housing Project (2014), the Thornton Heights Housing Scheme (2014) and the Liscarroll’s Community Childcare Facility and Housing Project (2013), Habitat for Humanity (2012) and the Nás na Ríocgh Housing Association (2012). On St. Patrick’s Day 2019, the President invited front line staff of organisations supporting homeless people to Áras an Uachtaráin.
Related speeches and events:
- President speaks at the ‘First Thoughts’ strand of Galway International Arts Festival (2018)
- Speech for Habitat for Humanity, April 2012
- Speech to the European Parliament, April 2013.
- Speech at a facility for homeless people, September 2014
- Speech at a Business Ireland event, November 2014
- Address to Irish UNIFIL troops, April 2015
- President attends an event to mark the centenary of Back Lane Service for Homeless People (2015)
- Speech at centre for homeless former members of the Defence Forces, November 2016
- Speech at Capuchin Centre for the Homeless, December 2016
- Address at the Social Justice Ireland conference, November 2017
- Christmas Message 2017
- Speech to diplomats, January 2018
- Speech at the Mendicity Institution, May 2018