President marks World Refugee Day
Published: Wed 17th Jun, 2020 | 12:57
The 20th of June is World Refugee Day, an international day designated by the United Nations to honour refugees around the globe.
World Refugee Day aims to focus global attention on the plight of those fleeing conflict or persecution, and reminds the world that everyone, including refugees, can contribute to society. These themes are also reflected in the work of President Higgins.
In his speeches and in his meetings with political leaders, President Higgins has called for solidarity with people who are forcibly displaced, and he has urged governments to assume greater responsibility for the welfare of migrants and refugees.
President Higgins has had a life-long interest in issues of migration and asylum, and since his inauguration in 2011 he has visited direct provision centres in Ireland and refugee camps in Gambella (Ethiopia) and Eleonas (Greece).
- President receives Mr. Filippo Grandi, UN High Commissioner for Refugees (2019)
- Statement on the occasion of the Global Refugee Forum (2019)
- President gives keynote address at Fordham University (2019)
- President receives participants in the ‘Correspondence - An anthology to call for an end to Direct Provision’ project (2019)
- President and Sabina host a Garden Party to acknowledge the work of those supporting Asylum Seekers and Refugees (2019)
- President and Sabina visit Welcome Centre and meet students and volunteer teachers (2019)
- President meets with Group of Friends of Migration (2019)
- President and Sabina visit Eleonas Refugee Camp (2018)
- President attends a meeting with UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Filippo Grandi (2018)
- President visits Mosney Direct Provision Centre and presents Bronze Gaisce Awards (2017)
- President receives Almuthna Loulah on a courtesy call (2017)
- President attends the World Humanitarian Summit, Istanbul (2016)
- President visits UNHCR Compound in Gambella, Ethiopia (2014)
- Speech at the opening of the new offices of the Irish Refugee Council and the Migrant Rights Centre of Ireland (2014)
- Address at a reception Marking the Twenty-First Anniversary of the Irish Refugee Council (2013)
- Remarks at the Opening of the Irish Refugee Council’s Independent Law Centre (2013)