President Higgins opened the “First Thoughts” segment at this year’s Galway Arts Festival.
The “First Thoughts” strand of the festival aims to provide a platform for thought-provoking ideas and discussions. In his address, the President will reflect on the idea of “Home”; the core theme of this year’s festival.
The President has spoken about the idea of "Home" before, notably in his 2012 British Council Lecture, and in many speeches about the Irish migrants' experiences. See for instance,
- Speech at the Mendicity Institution, May 2018
- Speech to diplomats, January 2018
- Christmas Message 2017
- Address at the Social Justice Ireland conference, November 2017
- Speech at Capuchin Centre for the Homeless, December 2016
- Speech at centre for homeless former members of the Defence Forces, November 2016
- Address to Irish UNIFIL troops, April 2015
- Speech at a Business Ireland event, November 2014
- Speech at a facility for homeless people, September 2014
- Speech to the European Parliament, April 2013.
- Speech for Habitat for Humanity, April 2012
See also: President Higgins on Homelessness