President Higgins is one of the Champion World Leaders of the "He for She" campaign. The President and Sabina Higgins are also supporters of Safe Ireland’s "Man Up" movement, which promotes the role men can play in ending domestic violence.
To mark International Women's Day, the President hosted an event at Áras an Uachtaráin, which was attended by staff and volunteers of organisations with a significant male membership. The President said the event was an appeal to men to say “your assistance, your new thinking, your action, your willingness to speak out is necessary if we are to join with the 50 per cent who are not achieving their full rights”.
A downloadable report on this event can be found here.
- President hosts reception to mark International Women’s Day 2020 (2020)
- President hosts the International Women’s Club of Dublin marking International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women (2019)
- President and Sabina host a Garden Party promoting Gender Equality and Respect for all (2019)
- President and Sabina Higgins visit the Aoibhneas women’s refuge centre (2019)
- President and Sabina visit Shankill Women’s Centre (2019)
- President attends an event to mark the 10th anniversary of the Irish Consortium on Gender Based Violence (2015)