President Higgins hosted a reception for staff and residents of Clúid Housing Association.
The word ‘Clúid’ means ‘the seat beside the fire’ – the seat that was traditionally offered to guests as a sign they were welcome and their needs would be taken care of. In the spirit of this word, Clúid aims to facilitate the creation of homes and communities where people want to live and settle.
The President has organised the reception, to thank the members of the organisation for their work and to thank the residents and tenants for their determination to play their role in the creation of inclusive, thriving communities.
President Higgins has met with a number of housing associations and social housing providers, including the Sophia Housing Project (2014), the Thornton Heights Housing Scheme (2014) and the Liscarroll’s Community Childcare Facility and Housing Project (2013), Habitat for Humanity (2012) and the the Nás na Ríocgh Housing Association (2012). On St. Patrick’s Day this year, the President invited front line staff of organisations supporting homeless people to Áras an Uachtaráin.
Related speeches and events:
- President marks World Refugee Day (2020)
- President gives keynote address at Fordham University (2019)
- President and Sabina host a St. Patrick’s Day Reception recognising those who work to support homeless people (2019)
- President receives staff and residents of Clúid Housing (2019)
- President speaks at the ‘First Thoughts’ strand of Galway International Arts Festival (2018)
- Speech at the Mendicity Institution, May 2018
- Speech to diplomats, January 2018
- Christmas Message 2017
- Address at the Social Justice Ireland conference, November 2017
- Speech at Capuchin Centre for the Homeless, December 2016
- Speech at centre for homeless former members of the Defence Forces, November 2016
- President attends an event to mark the centenary of Back Lane Service for Homeless People (2015)
- Address to Irish UNIFIL troops, April 2015
- Speech at a Business Ireland event, November 2014
- Speech at a facility for homeless people, September 2014
- Speech to the European Parliament, April 2013.
- Speech for Habitat for Humanity, April 2012