The United Nations’ education and science organisation UNESCO has declared the first Thursday of November of every year the ‘International Day against Violence and Bullying at School, Including Cyberbullying’.
This new International Day highlights school-related violence in all its forms, recognising that bullying is an infringement of children and adolescents’ rights to education and well-being.
Throughout his Presidency, President Higgins has called attention to the destructive effect of violence and bullying, including through social media. The President has said that these forms of violence have a destructive effect on people’s lives and rob them of their dignity.
- President receives representatives of the World Anti-Bullying Forum (2019)
- President visits St. John’s College (2017)
- President visits St. Dominic’s College (2017)
- President hosts “HeForShe” event (2016)
- Speech at the Irish Association of Suicidology Annual Conference (2015)
- President addresses Irish Primary School Principals Network (2013)