Representatives from Traveller organisations met President Higgins to mark the first National Traveller Mental Health Day, organised to raise awareness of mental health issues in the Traveller community.
The Traveller community is disproportionately affected by suicide and poor mental health, with suicide rates at least 7 times higher for Traveller men and 6 times higher for Traveller women than among settled communities.
Nancy Power, Thomas McCann and Margaret McDonagh presented the President with a hazel tree, symbol of Travellers' strength, history and resilience.
President Higgins invited his guests to ring the Peace Bell at Áras an Uachtaráin.
- President officially opens an exhibition entitled “Travellers Journey”: https://president.ie/en/diary/details/president-officially-opens-an-exhibition-entitled-travellers-journey (2018)
- President visits event marking the anniversary of Traveller ethnicity: https://president.ie/en/diary/details/president-visits-event-marking-the-anniversary-of-traveller-ethnicity (2018)
- Members of Pavee Point Traveller and Roma Centre present the President with an ethnicity pin: https://president.ie/en/diary/details/members-of-pavee-point-traveller-and-roma-centre-present-the-president-with (2017)
- President attends an event celebrating 30 years of Pavee Point: https://president.ie/en/diary/details/president-attends-an-event-celebrating-30-years-of-pavee-point (2015)
- President receives Ballyfermot Traveller Action Project Development Education Group: https://president.ie/en/diary/details/president-receives-ballyfermot-traveller-action-project-development-educati (2012)