President Michael D. Higgins has issued a special Message to mark International Traveller & Roma Day 2021.
In the Message, President Higgins reflects on progress made towards achieving the rights of Traveller and Roma communities, and highlights the many areas in which progress has been insufficient.
Expressing his hopes that recent progress "towards building a society that values and embraces diversity" will enable greater accommodation between settled and Traveller communities, the President invites us all to "celebrate the unique culture of the Traveller and Roma communities, and the role that culture has played in the shared memory of a nation."
- President receives representatives of the National Traveller Mental Health Network (2020)
- President visits event marking the anniversary of Traveller ethnicity (2018)
- President officially opens an exhibition entitled “Travellers Journey” (2018)
- Members of Pavee Point Traveller and Roma Centre present the President with an ethnicity pin (2017)
- Speech at an Event Celebrating 30 years of the Pavee Point Traveller & Roma Centre (2015)
- President attends an event celebrating 30 years of Pavee Point (2015)
- President receives Ballyfermot Traveller Action Project Development Education Group (2012)