Samhlaíocht agus An Náisiún / Imagination and the Nation
Samhlaíocht agus An Náisiún – Imagination and The Nation is an initiative to highlight the powerful and transformative role of art and creativity in the evolution of Ireland as a republic and an idea.
The creative arts have often played an important role in bringing together the many strands of Ireland’s past, present and future, teasing through the tangle of history, taking up hidden threads in our social fabric and weaving new possibilities for the future.
Art allows us to reflect on different lived experiences, past and present, bearing witness, bringing healing and calling to action. It is intrinsicly inter-generational – allowing for connections and conversations to be forged and renewed in different times and changing circumstance.
The Imagination and the Nation initiative is grounded in the themes President Higgins has put forward as part of his vision for Ireland, including Equal Participation and Sustainable Communities. It will highlight the necessity of art and creativity in contemporary Irish life and its power to engage, challenge, transform and empower. By celebratinng and encouraging new moments of collective creativity and vision-making – imagining and achieving a more equal republic and a better shared future – it will also support wide public engagement in the presidential theme of "Sharing History, Shaping The Future" which promotes an inclusive approach to all our national commemorations and encourages new acts of vision-making for the century ahead.
- President Higgins responds to the employment crisis of the Arts and Cultural Sector in the EU
- President visits Cabra Library to mark donation of book collection to Public Library Services
- President attends the launch of new Visitor Experience at Windmill Lane Recording Studios
- President opens the John Behan “Migrations” exhibition
- President receives the Irish Team who competed in WorldSkills Competition for apprentices and trainees
- President addresses 40th anniversary celebration of the Benson Report
- ‘Tae leis an Uachtarán’ to mark Seachtain na Gaeilge
- President unveils art work by Joey Burns at Inchicore National School
- President opens "Reflections" by John Behan
- President opens Young Philosopher Awards festival
- President and Sabina host Bloomsday Garden Party
- President and Sabina host Other Voices Concert
- President opens Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann
- President confers the Torc, symbol of the Office of Saoi, on Mr. Roger Doyle
- President announces the new Ireland Chair of Poetry
- President hosting Heritage Council and County Heritage Officers
- President and Sabina host Culture Night at Áras an Uachtaráin
- President visits Irish Arts Center in New York
- President unveils sculpture by John Behan
- President hosts cultural event for Irish community in Cyprus