Áras an Uachtaráin is set amid 130 acres of parkland and gardens dating back to the construction of the house in 1751.
The formal gardens were created in 1840 by Decimus Burton with later additions by Ninian Niven. They contain many Victorian features, including ceremonial trees, an arboretum, wilderness, pleasure grounds, avenues, walks, ornamental lakes and walled gardens.
Visitors pass through the formal gardens to the Queen's Walk, flanked on either side by ceremonial trees, and into the upper walled garden which is bounded on the south by a Turner peach house.
The Walled Garden, which is managed sustainably and has organic status, provides fruit, vegetables and flowers for the Áras. All apples and pears are used to make organic juice, which is served to the President’s visitors.
The President and Sabina Higgins take a great interest in the gardens and have introduced new Irish varieties of organic vegetables. The President's flower garden has recently been planted with a spectacular selection of award winning Dahlias.