President Higgins met French philosopher, journalist and film maker Bernard-Henri Lévy.
Mr. Lévy was in Ireland to perform his one-man play ‘Looking for Europe’.
The President and his visitor discussed a wide range of visions for the future of Europe, both stressing the need for peaceful cooperation, social cohesion and practical solidarity.
President Higgins has set out his views on the future of Europe in a number of speeches, including:
‘Making a new Mind for Europe - Of the Discourse that we need’ (March 2019)
- “Giving the European Union a Future that will Engage Citizens - A Shared Challenge” (January 2018)
- Speech by President Higgins at the Diplomatic Corps 2018 New Year’s Greeting Ceremony (January 2018)
- Speech at a Reception for the European Association of Former Members of Parliament (June 2017)
- Speech at the Diplomatic Corps 2017 New Year’s Greeting Ceremony (January 2017)
- “Creating a New Moment for the European Union: Problems and Prospects” - Address to the Irish Association of Contemporary European Studies. (April 2016)
- “The European Union - Towards a Discourse of Reconnection, Renewal and Hope” (September 2015)
- ‘Towards a European Union of the Citizens’ - Address to the European Parliament (April 2013)