President Higgins welcomed Belgian photographer Sebastiaan Franco to Áras an Uachtaráin.
Mr Franco spent two years with Traveller communities in the Finglas area, documenting their lives and experiences in a photo book, entitled ‘Anásha’ - a word in the Cant language used to point out something out of the ordinary.
The President and Sabina have long been advocates for Travellers' rights and respect for Travellers' distinct identity within the fabric of Irish society.
The President has argued that the core values of our Republic include the commitment to treat all citizens equally, to enable the meaningful participation of all citizens, and to remove prejudices and practical obstacles to the realisation of everyone's rights. The President has said that creativity, inclusion and mutual respect are the true drivers of sustainability for our society.
- President officially opens an exhibition entitled “Travellers Journey”: https://president.ie/en/diary/details/president-officially-opens-an-exhibition-entitled-travellers-journey (2018)
- President visits event marking the anniversary of Traveller ethnicity: https://president.ie/en/diary/details/president-visits-event-marking-the-anniversary-of-traveller-ethnicity (2018)
- Members of Pavee Point Traveller and Roma Centre present the President with an ethnicity pin: https://president.ie/en/diary/details/members-of-pavee-point-traveller-and-roma-centre-present-the-president-with (2017)
- President attends an event celebrating 30 years of Pavee Point: https://president.ie/en/diary/details/president-attends-an-event-celebrating-30-years-of-pavee-point (2015)
- President receives Ballyfermot Traveller Action Project Development Education Group: https://president.ie/en/diary/details/president-receives-ballyfermot-traveller-action-project-development-educati (2012)