At a ceremony at Áras an Uachtaráin, President Michael D. Higgins presented the Defence Forces Values Awards.
The awards are given to serving or retired Defence Forces members whose conduct exemplifies the standards of “respect, loyalty, selflessness, physical courage, moral courage and integrity” expected of members of the Defence Forces.
The President of Ireland is the Supreme Commander of the Defence Forces. All Defence Forces officers are therefore commissioned by the President, but under the terms of the Defence Act 1954, the Government exercises military command through the Minister for Defence, who manages and controls the Defence Forces.
- President hosts Defence Forces Values Awards (2019)
- President visits Brú na bhFiann residence for homeless former members of the Defence Forces (2016)
- President visits Cadet School (2016)
- President hosts a reception for Defence Force personnel in recognition of their role in his inauguration ceremony (2018)
- President attends a State Event marking the 60th Anniversary of Irish UN Peacekeeping deployments (2018)
- Defence Forces Veteran Associations visit Áras an Uachtaráin (2019)